Tuesday 8 January 2008

Muktzeh - Moving a Lamp

The following question was sent by one of the Chabura to Rav Ostroff:

I want to ask about a common issue in which there is a dispute of opinions on.

May one on Shabbos move an electric lamp with a cord from one room to another room? The cord is taped to the wall and will not come out. The case is where one light went out and it was dark and I was learning with friends Friday night. I wanted to move the lamp that was still on to the room where the light went off.

I remember Rav Bluth taught me that Rav Moshe Feinstein would do it in his apartment. What are all the opinions and final conclusion that you follow?

Rav Ostroff replied:

Indeed Rav Shlomo Zalman held that halachically one is permitted to move such a lamp, being that it is made to move, but ruled that one must not.

I discussed the issue of moving a radiator, which is basically the same idea - it has an element that heats oil and is made to move around - on wheels, and he said that in Yiddish we say that one must "run from fire like fire" ...and since an element is aish, it must be treated as such and is always a bosis and ossur to move.

So I would only move such an item with my foot.

No comments: